Joseph Guan holds a Ph.D. in Education from Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas, USA (1994) and a Master’s degree in Music Education from the University of Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA (1778). The topic of his Ph.D. dissertation was on learning strategies. He was a secondary school teacher for twelve years and was a vice-principal of St. Joseph’s Institution and principal of St Patrick’s Secondary School for a total of nine years.
Dr Guan has been involved actively in corporate training for the last fifteen years, specializing in the areas of emotional intelligence, leadership, stress management, learning strategies, personal effectiveness, team building, speed reading, time management, creative thinking, coaching and counseling skills. He was a facilitator and trainer for Asia in teacher development programmes for the International Office of Catholic Education for several years (1986 – 1991).
He is an international corporate trainer who has conducted workshops/seminars in the United States, Guatemala, Indonesia, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, India and Singapore and has presented international papers on educational and human development in Italy, United States and India.
Dr Guan has vast experience in the area of counseling and coaching for the last twenty years. He is a certified hypnotherapist from the American Board of Hypnotherapy (1997) and is a Master Practitioner in Neuro-linguistic Programming (1990) and a Time Line Therapist (1997). He is also the Regional Coordinator of the Association for Comprehensive Energy Psychology (Pacific Rim/Australia) (2002 – 008) which is a new emerging field of counseling and therapy that utilizes the alignment of energy pathways of the body to treat emotional, cognitive and physical distress. He has a Diplomate in Comprehensive Energy Psychology and is a certification instructor in Energy Psychology since 2007.
Dr Guan has had advanced training in Neurofeedback and is actively assisting children with learning disabilities with a variety of interventions including learning strategies, brain gym, energy psychology and neurofeedback. He is the clinical director of Brain Enhancement Centre Private Limited (2005 till present) and further information can be accessed at his website www.bec-eeg.com. Dr Guan has presented papers in Neurofeedback in Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore and Indonesia and has treated more than 700 clients in the past nine years. Dr Guan is a certification instructor for Global Neurofeedback Initiative initiated by StressTherapy Solutions USA and also an instructor and trainer of Brainmaster Technologies.
B.M.Ed Bachelor of Music Education 1976 (University of Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA)
M.M.Ed Master of Music Education 1978 (University of Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA)
Ph.D. in Education (Curriculum Development) 1994 Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas, USA
Diploma in Teacher Certification (1965 – 1967) – St. Joseph’s Training College, Penang, Malaysia
High School teacher – 1968 to 1984 St Joseph’s Institution, Singapore
Adjunct Lecturer in Music Education, (1979 – 1980) National University of Singapore
Deputy Principal of St. Joseph’s Institution (1985 – 1988), Singapore
Principal of St Patrick’s High School (1989 – 1991) Singapore
Practitioner in Neuro-Linguistic Programming 1989 Winter Park, Colorado, USA
Master Practitioner in Neuro-Linguistic Programming 1990 Winter Park, Colorado, USA
Certified Hypnotherapist, November 1997, Hawaii, (American Board of Hypnotherapy)
Certification Course on Brain-based Learning by Eric Jensen, Molokai, Hawaii, November 2000
Corporate Trainer 1995 – 2005 in Asian Region
Diplomate in Comprehensive Energy Psychology (certification instructor, DCEP) 2006, California, USA
Clinical Director, Brain Enhancement Centre, 2005 till present, Singapore
Advisor to Mahidol University – Biomedical Department in setting up Neurofeedback Center (2012)
External Examiner for Mahidol University in sub-specialization in Neurofeedback February 2013
Set up a Neurofeedback Center in Seremban General Hospital, West Malaysia in February 2013
Set up a Neurofeedback Center in Kiwi Today, Educational Consulting
Organized first Infra Slow Fluctuation Neurofeedback in Bali, Indonesia in March 2013
Set up Neurofeedback Center in Nationwide Health System, Manila Philippines in July 2013
List of Neurofeedback workshops
(1) EEG Biofeedback from May 10 – 15 2005 by Siegfried Othmer and Susan Othmer in Cleveland, OH, and Dr Richard Souter, together with Tom and Bill from Brainmaster Technologies.
(2) Advanced Course in Neurofeedback from 12 – 13 November 2005 by Siegfried Othmer and Susan Other at Woodlands Hills, CA
(3) Brownback, Mason and Associates Neurofeedback System – Neurodiagnostic Evaluation within a 10-20 System Framework Integrated to Facilitate an In-depth Analysis of the QEEG from November 2 – 5th 2006, Cleveland, Ohio (BCIA Accredited Continuing Education: 18 Category A (accredited) Hours toward Recertification
(4) Z score workshop in late January 2008 at Cleveland, Ohio
(5) Z score workshop from January 22 – 25 2009 at Cleveland, Ohio
(6) Z score workshop from August 12 – 15 2010 at Cleveland, Ohio
(7) Infra-Low Frequency Neurofeedback Training, New York, 11th – 13th November 2011
(8) Organized first Asia Pacific Infra Low Frequency Neurofeedback Training in Singapore from 20th – 22nd April 2012.
(9) Keynote Speaker and Organizer at First Asia Pacific Conference on Energy Medicine, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia September 2012
(10) Attended QEEG, BrainAvatar and BrainDX and Global Neurofeedback Initiative Instructor Course in Cleveland, January 2013
(11) Keynote speaker at 1st Asia Pacific Biophysics Conference in Bali (21st – 22nd September 2013
EEG Biofeedback Case Studies using life Z-score training and a Normative Database, Journal of Neurotherapy (14)2, 22 – 46. (February 2010) Thomas, F. Collura, Guan Joseph, Tarrant Jeffrey, Bailey John, and Starr Fred.
Corporate programmes, coaching and counseling
Dr Guan was involved in executive coaching and counseling with the staff of A.T. Atkerney Pte Ltd (SEA) – a management consultant company,
Doctors from Ear, Nose and Throat Department of National University Hospital – managing change and transition
Schools – counselling (Monfort Secondary School, Maris Stella High School, and Maris Stella Kindergarten).
He is a free-lance counselor and coach and was involved in creating programmes for the severely stressed-out inmates of Tembusu Home. Dr Guan was bestowed the President’s Challenge Award in 2003 for his innovative programme on cultivating mental resiliency and brain integration techniques for the patients of Tembusu Home.
He developed two modules of the Critical Enabling Skills Training Programme (CREST) (Personal Effectiveness and Team building) and helped to endorse three other modules for the National Productivity Board. Dr Guan trained many organizations in the CREST programme over a period of five years.
Dr Guan was featured in the International Who’s Who of Entrepreneurs in 1999 and 2000.
He was initiated into the Kappa Delta Pi, an International Honor Society in Education for his high professional, intellectual and outstanding contributions to education while pursuing his doctoral studies (1994)
He was conferred the “World Outreach Award” from the International Association of Comprehensive Energy Psychology in May 2003, Phoenix, Arizona.
• Sample of Corporate clients – SINDA, Bakrie and Brothers (Indonesia), Youth Challenge, Rodas-Haskell Associates Inc. (Houston, Texas USA), Pronel de Centroamerica (Guatemala), Periwinkle Communications Pte Ltd (Singapore), SpiralWorks (Phoenix, Arizona USA), ORIGIN (Asia Pacific), Forte IRI (Singapore), Masterskills Pte Ltd (Singapore), Housing Development Board, IDA, Chinese Swimming Club, Emerald Hill Group, Tree of Life Natural Remedies (Malaysia), Ministry of Defence (MINDEF – Singapore), Ministry of Education (Singapore), Tanglin Club, Laguna Golf and Country Club, Skylearner.com (Malaysia), Malay Chamber of Commerce, Johore, Malaysia, Malaysia Tobacco Company, Tenaga Group (Malaysia), May Bank (Malaysia), Petronas Oil Company (Malaysia), Good Shepherd Yishun Crisis Centre, Inland Revenue of Singapore, Central Provident Fund, Land Transport Authority and Singapore Prisons
• Tertiary Educational Institutions
HELP Institute (private university – Malaysia) – Emotional Intelligence and managing change
Singapore Institute of Management – various corporate programmes
National University Hospital (ENT department) – executive coaching and managing transition and change
National University of Singapore (adjunct music lecturer – 1978 – 1980)
Singapore Institute of Management (corporate programmes)
Petronas University (Malaysia) – advisor in neurofeedback (2010 – 2012) and had an expert from USA – Mark Smith to assist them in software and hardware development in the use of neurofeedback machines and signal processing
TMC Educational Group (Singapore – advisor and corporate training)
Singapore Polytechnic (corporate programmes)
Ngee Ann Polytechnic (corporate programmes)
Mahidol University – Biomedical Department September 2012
All India National Association of Catholic Schools (India), Raffles Girls’ Secondary School, East View Secondary School, Loyang Secondary School, Maris Stella High School, Dunearn Secondary School, Katong Convent Secondary School, Tao Nan Primary School, Springfield Secondary School, St. Anthony’s Canossian Convent Secondary School, St. Andrew’s Primary School, Woodlands Ring Secondary School, Ping Yi Secondary School, Woodlands Primary School, Assumption English School, Dunman High School, Cluster Schools (North 4), Bendemeer Secondary School, Marymount Convent, and Maris Stella Kindergarten.